I was driving home from Target deciding whether to stop by Home Depot to pick up Jeremiah's last Christmas present or to make my mood and my baby happy by going home and starting dinner. My mood and baby won and I headed home. I pulled up to a four way stop singing along to one of my favorite Christmas cds. I stopped, let two cars go, started to make my way across the intersection and then BAM! The next thing I knew my world was moving in slow motion as my car was spinning. When my trusty Golf finally stopped (on the other side of the intersection!)the only two things I was sure about was that I could see perfectly out the passenger side windows because they were no longer and that all of the people who were now out of their cars could sing along to my cd because my music was still playing! Almost as soon as I realized this nightmare actually was happening a police officer ran up to my car to see if I was okay. They only thing that came out of my mouth was "I'm pregnant". He responded with "It's going to be okay" in a very calm voice and proceeded to radio in "We need an ambulance immediately". It's safe to say I lost it at that point and called Jeremiah. The ambulance, fire truck, and who knows how many police cars (oh ya, they were definitely diverting traffic down other streets. Thank goodness it was dark because I'm sure my face was more red than it had ever been...well until they put me on the gurney.)showed up moments later. As the EIGHT firemen were getting me out of the car and onto the gurney I suddenly remembered my extremely hard to find venti Starbucks Christmas cup (from Amy Reid:)) was somewhere in the front seat and I wasn't ready to part with it(at this point I knew my smashed little Golf was totaled and they were having it towed away). I couldn't seem to come up with a good way to say to the firemen "I am obviously very concerned about my baby but any chance one of you can grab my special cup?". That's when my very amazing husband arrived, jumped into the ambulance and whispered "I got your cup". It's like he knows me. One very short ambulance ride later and a suggestion to name our baby Wes, after one of the paramedics, I was at the hospital. I spent a couple of hours in the ER and four or so hours in Labor & Delivery. I had more tests and ultrasounds done probably than most people have in their entire pregnancy but but we both checked out in good shape! I was released close to midnight and had yet to eat dinner (remember I was hungry at the beginning of this story). I woke up the next morning feeling like my body had gone through the dryer. I didn't know half of my muscles that hurt even existed!

Recovering the favorite Christmas cd at the yard

It wasn't a huge inconvenience that we were now a one car family because I had very little interest in driving. But Jeremiah likes when I get paychecks so we borrowed our friend's car for the week and I returned to work.
Fast forward to Christmas morning...
I like to take a long time opening presents, savoring each gift. Jeremiah and I were going back and forth taking turns opening our stocking stuffers. After about the 4th or 5th go around Jeremiah finally says "I just want you to finish opening yours". Being a good and obedient wife I followed his instruction and opened a few more bottles of body wash (thanks Kari) and then pulled a set of car keys out of my stocking. Because I am NEVER surprised I naturally thought he borrowed the keys from our friends and was using them as a little reminder that we would go car shopping that following week. He sensed my confusion and said "You can keep what's in the driveway if you like it".
Yep, shiny new cars with big red bows really do happen!
(You just have to be pregnant and get T-boned in an intersection)

Feeling very confused and surprised that he pulled this off

And then I heard a faint sneeze followed by some giggling

Of course they were in on it!

Getting familiar with all of the "extras" that my Golf didn't have...like cup holders!


We had so many reasons to be thankful this Christmas! Not the least of which the way God had his hand on Sawyer and I in the accident. We are SO thankful!
Sawyer actually made out pretty well this Christmas!


Christmas 2010
Wow, Courtney! That's crazy!! I am so glad that God protected you both and thta you got an awesome new car out of the deal!! I love the part about the cup and how he said he got it with out you even having to ask! Those cups are awesome, I totally get it!!! ;) Well, I am so glad you are ok and I love the name you guys picked Sawyer, so cute! Oh, and guess what?!? Your little guy is going to have another little boy to play with! We found out yesterday that we are having a Boy too!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you and Sawyer are ok!! The new car looks great, and I'm glad you still have your Starbucks cup! That's on my list to get when we go back to the States. Can't wait to see you in a month!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story. So glad you and Sawyer were protected by those guardian angels. And it was no coincidence that the officer was right there.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
Aunt Linda